let’s face it. we’ve all had those moments where we open our closets in the morning and feel uninspired by every item inside. sometimes, we keep opening the doors hoping to magically find a new or hidden piece of clothing inside. the key to making sure that you always have something different or exciting to wear is to stock up on the essentials. after that, the opportunities to build on these are endless! in my opinion, there are five pieces that every girl needs in her wardrobe and i can tell you just where to find them, at prices that won’t drain your bank account!
1. LBD–Whether you’re going out for the night or just want to dress up your everyday look, a simple black dress that compliments you in all the right places is key. A trusty LBD can be refreshed with different jewelry combinations, shoe choices, etc and look new and different every time.
2. White v-neck–Nothing is more useful to a wardrobe than a white t-shirt. The important thing is to make sure it’s a high quality shirt and that you take care of it because t-shirts can start to look old quickly. Some people think I’m crazy, but I generally spend at least $20 on my t-shirts because they are the most worn item in my closet and I want to make sure they fit well and will last a while.
3. A “You Need to Give me this Job” Outfit- I have no doubt that many of you have been to several professional interviews in your lifetime and have succeeded greatly. Every woman should have a professional outfit put together that would allow her to attend an interview for the job of her dreams at a moment’s notice. There is no need to splurge on a custom pant or skirt suit..at least until you get the job. But, you should have a good quality blazer, dress shirt and dress pants or a professional pencil skirt in your wardrobe. These can be found at H&M, Express, The Limited and many other affordable places. In fact, I put together mine on a $60 budget and came out with money to spare!
4. Jeans– This one seems like a no-brainer. Of course, everyone already has a pair of jeans, or ten, in her wardrobe. However, I firmly believe that the jean search is not as easy as heading to the local American Eagle and picking up a pair in any old wash. I think that every woman should own a dark wash, boot cut pair of jeans that truly flatter her in every way. The search for your perfect pair of jeans can take a long time, but, just like trying on a wedding dress, when you know, you know. I would recommend splurging on this pair of jeans if you need to. If you really do find that perfect pair of jeans, you don’t want to find yourself tossing them a few months later because they ripped, faded, etc. I would search for premium denim from brands such as True Religion, Hudson, Paige and other similar brands. If you are interested in these brands, I have a few tips to keep in mind that are applicable 95% of the time.
- Hudson jeans, as well as Seven, are universally flattering. They are your girl-next-door jeans and I would recommend them to anyone, but especially women who are average height, average weight or otherwise fairly standard body type. These jeans traditionally run larger than other premium denim brands, so size down.
- Paige denim, as well as Rock and Republic, is essential to a tall and thin woman. Paige jeans will instantly make you feel and look like a model. However, these jeans may not be as smart of a choice for someone with a different body type.
- Joe’s jeans are perfect for petite and curvy girls. Joe’s makes more petite styles than almost any other brand and are super flattering to those with a bit more of a booty.
- True Religion jeans are great for anyone who wants to highlight their butt or give the impression of having a curvier backside. There is a reason these jeans are mentioned in the Black Eyed Pea’s “My Humps.”
5. Signature Piece–I plan on writing a post solely devoted to the signature piece soon, but to put it briefly, every girl needs an item that is distinctly “her,” an item that when mentioned will always make someone think of you. For example, everyone knows Jackie O by her sunglasses and classic black-on-top, white-on-bottom combos. Your signature piece can be a scarf, a hair accessory, a blazer, etc., but make it fit you and your needs. This piece should be classic and endure all changing trends. Once you have one, rock it! You’re well on your way to developing your own personal style!
Happy shopping and enjoy building the foundation to your lifetime wardrobe!